Friday, November 26, 2004

Is $$ Everything?

Is $$ Everything?

Juz now when I was having dinner with my dad at the market (yes, I'm finally well enuff to walk to the market), I overheard this uncle who should be in his 50s, toking to a potential business partner (whom i believe also an uncle) over his mobile in Singnese (Singapore's chinese):

"eh hello, remember me anot?? I am the Whampoa Azminah's friend lah. Ask you ah, you working in property line hor, wan to ask you see you interested to work together & earn a little anot lah?"

and he emphasized again...

"see u want to work together & earn a little anot lor..."

Hmm... why is everyone's onli interest is to earn $$? I mean, to earn as much as they can. Is our pathetic life onli revolves around this significant sign - '$'? I can't deny that in this pragmatic society, we can't live without $... Or rather, we can't live in comfort without $$.

My 62 years old dad is holding a part time job besides his main freelance business, My Mr. Wood sells himself and his time to RS*F (guess the missing word, Guys), My sis & bro-in-law stays in office for 24/7 even when they are the bosses. Even for myself, I'm auctioning my stuffs to earn a sum of extra cash, a really small sum. My frenz who are working only cares about renumerations and pay increment. One of my classmate hates her current job environment, however, she got no choice but to stay on becoz she gotta pay the mortgage of her new condo.

Is $$ everything that we need in life? Is $$ the purpose of life that we are born for? Is our mission on earth is to earn lotsa money?

Ofcoz, I'm not telling you guys out there:"hey! stop working & enjoy life!!" But at least, when you got home after a hectic day of work, do some soul-searching on what you really want. Ask urself this question: "what do want most at your deathbed?" If your answer is the big word "MONEY", you fritter away your life!

Spend some time to unwind urself and care for the people around you. My bf feels that he needs to earn lotsa $$ so that his children can live in comfort in future. But hey! look at my family! My grandma's rich...she left lotsa $$ for her children but end up?? They dun cherish a single cent! They dun appreciate what my grandma had done..they fought among each other for no good reasons and in the end, everyone in the family suffers...family ties being severed, including the younger generation like me & my cousins. I lost all my close cousin, brought upon by the childish actions of the adult! See Mr. Wood, too much $$ do no good! It makes people lost their sense of belonging & blinded their love.

Now, here's the million dollar question: "Do we live to work, or work to live?"

To me, $ is essential, I need them too. My frenz ask me why can I bring myself to splurge $5k on a vacation? Maybe becoz the $$ comes easy for me & I dun feel the pinch or maybe, I've seen enuff in life that $5k is juz something I can earn back in future but experience can't. I lost my mum since young, been thru the hard times with my family, seen the dispute among family members becoz of $, seen the heartless side of my another grandma who refused to ackowledge my mum even till the day my mum died.... What is S$5k to me? At my deathbed, I might not have rick bank account to share with my descendents, but I have love & life stories to share.

Being rich is not material wise, its when you are being loved and know how to love.

|

2 Comments:

Blogger Billie Anne said...

Well well, it sucks when we allow ourselves to be bound by money especially when you realised that money, in the first place, is just a man-made concept. It is sad but sigh, we need money to do so many things. I agree with u that money isn't everything, the most impt thing is to live ur life with passion. =)

11:32 PM  
Blogger JP said...

Thanx for agreeing with me Billie! Somehow i feel Money is EVIL! But the made us desire for them...sigh...

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home